Barbel Angler

PostPosted: 20/08/13 13:57 
Global Moderator
Lots of talk on the forum about cameras, self take photos, depth of field and all sorts of photographic stuff.

Please feel free to use this topic to chat about photography etc and post any photos whether fishing related or not.

To start the ball rolling. . . . . .

Dave G has recently posted about depth of field in response to one of Paul (Mono's) photos. Took me some time to understand obout depth of field when I first got into photography.

Basically, if you have a wide aperture (f-stop) such as f3.5, only what the lens focuses on will be sharp. So if the lens focus point is the fish, the foreground and background will be blurred. If you have a narrow aperture such as f16 the depth of field is increased so more of the foreground and background will be in focus.

It actually works. If you wear glasses and you forget them you tend to squint to read text. Very interesting phenomenon.

Meanwhile back to blurred photos of fish using complicated cameras, you could check your SLR focus area Paul. On my Canon SLR, I can choose between wide area focusing or point specific. Works really well with a little practice.

Roy

PostPosted: 21/08/13 09:03 
Thanks Roy and a very interesting read. Taking photo's at night is certainly a tricky affair, but something I need to master soon. You never know, that really big fish might be just round the corner.

PostPosted: 21/08/13 11:38 
Hi men,

30 years ago I had a mate who was a camera dealer , and he got me into better quality stuff . The depth of field was something I mucked around with most , using it as an effect , shooting the same pic at opposite ends to see the difference . Then sending the roll away to a number of those printing companies in envelopes , lol , waiting for pics of carp , holidays , and the kids to come back . I did meet a famous photographer ( no idea of his name , but it was at a camera auction , and my mate introduced us !) who gave me a bit of advice . Never shoot in dappled light for fishing pics , and shoot into the sun with a flash on !. I wish I had kept all my prints , lots of carp I can't remember , great swims and lakes . I had some transferred to slides to do a carp society show with Martin Clarke , but god knows where they are !

I was telling fishing stories to someone who writes for mags etc who said I had so many I should get them down on paper , but without backup pics its impossible !. I'm very lazy now , my Samsung camera has been in a draw for 4 years since I started to use IPhones !.

What I don't like in fishing pics - the blatant product placement set up types , you know , baseball cap / tee shirt in the water returning fish , or the same kneeling with a couple of fish on a mat with heavy fill on flash !.

What I like in fishing pic - views of swims , off the cuff action pic ( hard unless there is someone around ) . I love sunsets/ rises shots , and in this country we have some of the best cloud formations in the world , well worth some shots of that !.

Interesting subject though !.

Hatter

PostPosted: 21/08/13 22:10 
Hi Paul'

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/depth ... ained-4631

Because I know 'not a lot' :lol .....I find sites like this interesting. This explanation of depth of field....what it is, and how to adjust it....is reasonably easy to follow.

Basically, as Roy said, using a small aperture....perhaps f11 or smaller, will help. However, you need to get enough light through the lens for it to work, so you need to balance things. For instance, a smaller aperture requires a slower shutter speed....and that can produce it's own set of issues. As you and I do a lot of after dark fishing, that again brings further complications....so we needs a fair bit of research to help us get things right methinks :b

Mind you....a lack of depth of field does a fine job of blurring the background....so no one will know what swim you were in :lol

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 26/08/13 19:40 
I have been pointed in the direction of taking a fish picture with my camera in "portrait" mode. This will make the subject matter sharper and clearer but slightly blur the background................... the next time i catch a fish i will put this too the test, don't hold your breath tho LOL.

Any of you lot shooting in "raw" format? I tried it, it does make a difference too what the camera puts on film.

PostPosted: 27/08/13 18:37 
Back in the day when I had an SLR (All the gear but no idea :lol ) I had the choice between JPEG and RAW. As I understand it, pics shot in RAW format have the maximum data possible from your camera, and that data is virtually free of interference from the cameras onboard processors. They therefore require further work, using something like Photoshop, before they can be printed .

On the other hand, pics taken using the JPEG format option have been fully worked on by the onboard processors, and are ready to be printed.

It's like the difference between me and a pro....I would shove the camera on auto and use it as a point and shoot. A pro would put it on manual and choose all the settings himself. I would shoot in JPEG and let the camera do the work, the pro would shoot in RAW and do all the work post camera in Photoshop or similar. Inevitably, 90% of the pro's shots would turn out better than mine....but I would be just as happy because I am a lazy git who can't be naffed to learn what TRUE photography is all about :lol

Ya takes ya pick :b

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 04/09/13 08:18 
There is so much to good photography and yet most of us haven't got a clue. I muted the idea on the ABF (can I mention that?) about setting up a camera/photography class but didn't get much response. All we need is a decent tutor and a pub to meet up and learn in! Any volunteers? :swim

PostPosted: 04/09/13 18:25 
Nathan,

I am not volunteering but I would like to learn , if it happens .

Richard

PostPosted: 09/12/14 13:22 
Global Moderator
It's been over a year since we had any interest in this topic.

Thought I'd start the ball rolling again with a photo of the big bright ball in the night sky this last weekend.

The full moon is notoriously difficult to photograph as the best method is to use . . . . wait for it . . . . . a moon filter!

Anyway this is the first successful attempt I've had using my Canon SLR 450D and a clonking great Sigma 500mm lens. Work in progress methinks. :)

Roy

PostPosted: 09/12/14 18:56 
micky holtom - owner
Great photo Roy , not sure if its the moon a mouldy boilie though. :lol

Micky

PostPosted: 10/12/14 10:59 
Global Moderator
Remember when as a kid you were told that the moon was made of cheese (which can go mouldy)?

Well, I looked last night and there's bits of the moon missing. I suspect aliens are nibbling away at the big bright ball in the sky! I expect in a week or so the moon could completely disappear.

:rolleyes

Roy

PostPosted: 15/12/14 08:30 
Global Moderator
The moon at 7:00 this morning.

Roy

PostPosted: 16/12/14 08:15 
paul whiteing - admin
C'mon Roy, one golden rule of photography is not to get your finger stray over the lens ;)
paul4

PostPosted: 16/12/14 09:56 
micky holtom - owner
:lol :lol :lol