Barbel Angler

1, 2»
PostPosted: 04/10/10 12:28 
with winter now just round the corner and the forecast being another cold one im starting to think about a bit of grayling fishing.
been down to the lower itchen fishery which i liked but after £20+ day ticket,£20+ on petrol it starts to work out a expensive days fishing.
i understand there is a free stretch in that area on the itchen and after doing a little bit of homework i think its the next stretch down but am not 100% sure.
does anyone know of the free bits on the itchen and are they worth fishing?
was planning to have a day on the lower itchen fishery and check out the free bit while i was down there for future fishing.

mike

PostPosted: 04/10/10 13:46 
Hi Mike

It is the section below Lowe Itchen Fishery and goes on for quite a way...

Its home to some Grayling, some really good chub and a few Barbel...

People park their cars on the pub side road and fish out the back virtually, looks quite nice to be fair.

Regards

Jez

PostPosted: 04/10/10 14:38 
cheers jez
i will have to give it a go.

PostPosted: 11/10/10 07:53 
The Meaty Baron wrote:
Hi Mike

It is the section below Lowe Itchen Fishery and goes on for quite a way...

Its home to some Grayling, some really good chub and a few Barbel...

People park their cars on the pub side road and fish out the back virtually, looks quite nice to be fair.

Regards

Jez
There are some cracking roach on that stretch as well. Image

and of course every sea trout and salmon has to travel through the free stretch before they arrive at Gaiters....

PostPosted: 12/10/10 17:22 
Hi there Nigel hope alls well.  Will you be fishing the top section again this year for the Grayling?

PostPosted: 13/10/10 06:43 
Yup, although we are all still waiting for Lyndsey to actually sort everything out. Image

PostPosted: 13/10/10 10:50 
Fished at LIF yesterday with 10 others and we had access to the top section five of us started there and the others around the Pulpit area.

Everyone caught from the off and loads of Grayling best 1.14, Trout to 3.12, 2 Salmon, Roach 1.12, Chub to 3.12 and Bream to 4.8.

I had my best ever day in 5 visits catch wise and weather wise it was a beautiful day warm and sunny my top Grayling was 1.9 but with several trout over 2lb and Chub to 3.12 it was a red letter day shared with my son.

Look forward to the BA trip.

Alan

PostPosted: 13/10/10 18:07 
Trammels wrote:
There are some cracking roach on that stretch as well. Image

and of course every sea trout and salmon has to travel through the free stretch before they arrive at Gaiters....
sounds even better.
a nice roach on the float would be great.
does it fish this time of the year or is it better once winter has set in.

PostPosted: 14/10/10 18:51 
Great work Allen - good to hear their already coming out!!

Nigel she's pretty shocking at the best of times mate - hope to catch up soon.

PostPosted: 15/10/10 12:31 
Some of the guy's on the trip earlier in the week fished the free stretch by the Swan Pub the day before and caught Roach in a short session late on the day they arrived prior to fishing Gaiters the next day here is part of his blog.

"Arrived Monday evening and spent an hour or so drinking beer, watching and feeding a group of four big chub swimming about in the free stretch that runs past the beer garden of the Swan pub just below the fishery. There were loads of anglers fishing hereabouts and after drinks we elected to join them for an hour. Under the frequent rush of noise that accompanied the arrival of planes onto Southampton Airport's nearby runway Keith had three half pound roach, Danny a chub too, but I had not a bite..."  

Read the rest of Jeff Hatts blog for the 14th October here [url=http:///idlersquest.blogspot.com/]http://idlersquest.blogspot.com/[/url]

Alan

PostPosted: 16/10/10 07:57 
DANIEL07881 wrote:
Nigel she's pretty shocking at the best of times mate - hope to catch up soon.

Yup, I finally received my VAT receipt for last year's fishing yesterday. (We actually haven't had any form of membership cards etc. for two or three years now, I guess it worked ok as we all knew Jon. Not sure what will happen with Clayton who doesn't know most of us from Adam.) Image

Worth it all to keep a season rod on such a great fishery mind.

PostPosted: 16/11/10 10:18 
I had a 7lb chub there.

PostPosted: 16/11/10 11:33 
micky holtom - owner
What a whopper , was that on float fishing gear Wes?

Micky

PostPosted: 16/11/10 13:28 
no mickey, actually got it on a 4# weight fly rod! Gold head weighted PTN..
...and there were 4 others of which it was the smallest!... i caught it less than a rod length out.

PostPosted: 16/11/10 15:08 
thats a great fish wesley.
with what ive been told about this free stretch it sounds great-makes you wonder why people pay £20+ to fish the next stretch up.
mike

PostPosted: 16/11/10 16:21 
Hi Mike,

I think its because of how busy it can get, I'm down the Lower Itchen Fishery a lot (season rod) and last week there were 15 or so guys along the free stretch and you would have been stuck in the swim you started in... With no more than 10 allowed per day on the pay section it does give a lot more scope to roam for your fish. I agree though, if you went often, it would get costly - depends how close you live to Southampton and how often you go...

Regards

Jez

PostPosted: 17/11/10 07:53 
Excluding trout rods Jed there was only one angler on the whole fishery on Friday. It was bliss!

Have you found that the grayling are in greater numbers - but smaller than last season? That is certainly my experience.

I've not had a 2lb or above yet this season. Image

PostPosted: 17/11/10 14:13 
i live about a mile up the road. I regularly fly fish too on it too and it was actually lyndsey who came down and weighed it!

I've just got back from a month around New Zealand and Australia - took my fly rod and even managed to get my wife spinning for trout. Had a guided day on Lake Wakatipu fishing the in flowing rivers - caught 4 wild rainbows to 3lb and a 3.5lb brownie on a klinkhammer. Highlight of the trip was the Nevis Bungy (143m) and cage diving with a Great White Shark!

Jez, have you seen the One Fly competition run by Simon Cooper on fishingbreaks? Might give it a go next year....

I still haven't fished for barbel this year and i must do my Wasing ticket justice before the season is out!

I'll see if i can find the chub photo among the 3million holiday snaps!

PostPosted: 14/12/10 15:44 

had a look at the free stretch yesterday and it looks a nice piece of water.
only saw one angler on it and that was someone carp or pike fishing with a bivvy and buzzers.
only looked at the bit around the white swan pub,didnt fish but will give it a go in the new year.
another plus point the white swan does a carvery so it could be fishing,a pint and a roast dinner-lovely.

PostPosted: 20/01/11 08:42 
i have fished the free part of the itchen quite a few times in 2010. had chub to 6lb and barbel to 12lb. i went last week had 2 chub about 3lb a small sea trout and lost 3 barbel.one of the barbel i got within inches of the net and then it jumped off! that was all on double red maggot and 18 hook. i think its a great river, but you do have to put up with alot of weed coming down getting round your line.