Barbel Angler

«1, 2
PostPosted: 20/01/11 20:41 
first of all richard,welcome to our site mate and well done on your catches..

luke

PostPosted: 23/01/11 21:26 
Seems a logical thread to ask; does anyone know the current conditions on the Itchen Winchester to Southampton?
EA levels show it as being 2-3ft up but that's compared to summer low level.

PostPosted: 24/01/11 10:50 
i fished it sat. was up but less than a foot or so. there's also a bit of colour in the water. didnt fish well sat, was alot of frost last week though! last nights rain would have helped a bit. just need the weather to warm up a bit or at least stay constant. hope this helps

PostPosted: 24/01/11 15:16 
I am new to this forum but have fished this free stretch of the river itchen for more than 40 years.
This stretch has always been good fishing but in recent years there has been an explosion in the quality of fishing with specimen Chub,Roach,Carp,Pike,Perch and Grayling. Back in the summer of 2010 I had a catch from 60 metres above the Swan of 6 Roach all around the 1lb 12 oz to 1lb 14 oz on swim feedered red maggot.(none quite got to the magic 2lb). Roach over 3lb have come from this part of the river ,Chub over 7lb and carp 25lb. One question. Has anyone else noticed that the weed growth last summer was way down on what it is usually? Maybe something to do with the very cold winter last year and looks like similar for this coming year. 

PostPosted: 21/02/11 21:38 
well finally got down to the itchen today to have a go for the first time on the free stretch.
river was up a bit with a little colour and looked quite good.stayed on the bits up stream and down stream of the pub and fished a stick and maggot while a couple of friends fished on the leger.
fished a few swims and had some bites and managed to catch 6 little salmon parr,a dace,2 grayling ,6 roach with the best about a pound and 3 chub the best about 4lb.
one mate blanked and the other had a grayling ,a litttle salmon parr and 3 roach the best going 1lb 4oz.
liked the place and im sure i will be back for more.

mike

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: 22/02/11 13:21 
Well done Mike, lovely Roach,

Jez

PostPosted: 23/02/11 19:00 
Hi Mike,
Glad to see you and your mates were catching fish. The roach looked in very good condition as usual. I regularly fish the swim just downstream from where you took the pics , the one with the tree down on the far bank approximately where the two men are in the background of one of your pics.
I could not get down there on Monday , had to wait in for the plumber but I am going to give it a go tomorrow (Thursday). I fished last Friday and had 8 Salmon parr which bodes well for the condition and future of the river plus a few roach but nothing bigger than a pound. Maybe see you down there one day.

Best regards,

Fishman6064

PostPosted: 25/02/11 17:12 
Re-posted on the right thread!! 

PostPosted: 02/03/11 21:22 
had another go on the free stretch today again fishing stick and maggot with a bit of hemp.
first swim produced a gudgeon and a small chub,moved to swim where i had a few fish last week but this only produced 2 salmon parr.
moved again and had a roach quite quickly so stayed put in this swim.
had a few fish in spell throughout the day and had a couple more salmon parr,a few dace,3 small chub and about 20 roach with the best 2 going 1lb 3oz and 1lb 6oz.
a very enjoyable day.
mike
Image 1lb 6oz roach

PostPosted: 03/03/11 09:28 
micky holtom - owner
Well done Mike, I take it the landlord doesnt mind anglers parking in his car park.

( handy for the loo also)

Micky

PostPosted: 03/03/11 15:40 
you can park in the slip road right by the river but i think its ok to park in the pub car park.
in the summer people feed the fish at the back of the pub with chips.
got talking to a local and he pulled out a photo of a 30lb salmon that he had caught from the stretch.
its worth a go but can get busy.

PostPosted: 29/09/11 12:13 
anyone been fishing it through the summer?
whats it fish like oct,nov time?
thinking of coming down for a go mid october.

mike

PostPosted: 05/11/12 13:16 
Anyone know what the levels are like?
Might be down there this week.
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: 15/11/12 23:59 
Administrator
I fished it early one morning Michael en route from the Dorset Stour to the Colne. I caught a big roach and a barbel on pellet. I got there at first light in August, nearly killed me. Caught the barbel about 8am. The place is like an aquarium, counted many different species in front of me.

I'm sure it fishes well in winter but if its up the best swim on the free bit will be tricky.

PostPosted: 19/12/16 17:32 
Hello chaps
Been a long time since I've been down to the river too long but planning to put that right in the new year and get down for a proper session.
Anyone been fishing it this year and what's it been fishing like?

Mike