Barbel Angler

PostPosted: 09/12/13 18:22 
Anyone been there?

I am off there on Saturday morning for a few hours looking for a perch or two, any pointers?

Cheers chaps

Last edited by Tom Herbert on 09/12/13 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09/12/13 19:50 
Tom Herbert wrote:
Anyone been there?

I am off there on Saturday morning for a few hours looking for a perch or two, any pointers?

Cheers chaps

Hi Tom. Are you sure you dont mean Royal Berkshire Fishery in Winkfield. I used to take my Dad and Uncle there and they would catch big Perch on the float on worm in the first lake by car park. Not been there for a few years. Micky may be able to help you he goes there somtimes and Blanks.

Regards Ray

PostPosted: 09/12/13 21:00 
Sorry Ray, yes that the one doh!

I have heard and read in the past that there are more than one or two large perch in there so i will be giving it a go on Saturday morning.

Cheers

( I have corrected the original post )

PostPosted: 10/12/13 02:02 
Hi Tom, I have only been there once, but I went with a bunch of anglers who have fished there a lot, and I saw some very good perch caught....I took a few mental notes of the successful methods for future reference :b

The lakes are very small, with central islands. You need to find decent depth, with typical perch cover, or 'structure'...ie, snags, overhanging bushes etc....the bigger the cover/snag bush the better...and there is plenty of it to go for. The going bait seemed to be prawns, cooked or raw...and of a decent size. Light feeding with chopped prawns and/or red maggots may help. The main problem with this method is carp....there are 'undreds of em, and they love prawns :rolleyes

Fish with suitably beefy float tackle to cope with that situation, though not so heavy that you put the perch off, using a biggish hook to hold the prawn. A Drennan tench float rod or similar, with 6lb mainline either straight through or with five pound trace, with a size 6 hook should see you about right. Float could be a waggler if you are casting far...but no real need....under your own bank is as good as anything. Mind you, a waggler also allows the luxury os sinking your line if it's windy...worth a thought. Be ready to react quickly to get the fish clear of the snags as soon as you hook one of course.

If the fishery is quiet, stalking and popping a prawn beside likely looking structures seemed a decent method. Google the fishery and read the rules before you go, because they stick to them avidly.

Good luck Tom....I saw perch well over 3lbs on the day...and it was freezing (last winter), so you are in with a good chance.

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 10/12/13 07:48 
micky holtom - owner
Nice reply David .

Heres the link to the fishery http://rbf.co.uk/

I might pop over to see how you are doing Tom as I only live 4 miles away.

The staff are very friendly and will tell you the best swims for Perch.

Dont forget its got a good cafe.

Good luck

Micky

PostPosted: 10/12/13 17:09 
Cheers chaps, i may have too rethink my approach.

I usually fish with four pound line for perch, never really contacted anything that will test it, although i did have a brace of near six pound chub last season while perch fishing and the line held up.

I was planning on using prawn as my main bait, red maggot will go over the top as per usual but i will be using a quiver-tip rod as i prefer that too a float while perching.

Mickey, bringa cup and i will put the kettle on thumbsup

PostPosted: 10/12/13 21:55 
Method used and line strength are of course entirely up to you Tom. My thoughts on the line BS you choose are based on the fact that you almost certainly will contact carp with those baits....they are overstocked and hungry....and they go to over twenty pounds! Add to that the facts that the lakes are fairly small...and you are fishing near snags....then you don't have much margin for error. As for the method....in my judgement a finely set float offers far less resistance to a taking fish...and perch do not like resistance. However, fishing the way that gives you the most confidence is always a good idea. I might add that a few lobworms as a back-up bait would not go amiss...cover all the options mate :hello

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 11/12/13 05:53 
Cheers Dave, will take on board what you say matey.

PostPosted: 11/12/13 23:15 
If its too windy for the float. Light ledger as you would for chub with a couple of swan shot and stick close to the margins or drop off. A very light bobbin (old school w/liquid top) offers less resistance than a quiver.
Stick to lobworm or prawn. Not sure there is a ground bait ban, but if there is mud mixed with chopped up bits of prawn, worm and dead maggot with a stinky flavouring to attract them, but not too much feed.
Put your feet up, have a brew and a fag and enjoy.

PostPosted: 12/12/13 19:48 
I will certainly enjoy my time there Paul, fishing is always too be enjoyed.

PostPosted: 14/12/13 15:05 
Only a sliver plated mirror carp of around six pounds for me today.

Had plenty of small tugs and knocks but..................

Good too see you Mickey and your grandson.

PostPosted: 15/12/13 06:34 
micky holtom - owner
Pity there was a match on lake 1 Tom, I know a couple of hotspots.

Might try the lakes myself once Ive caught my December Barbel.

Thanks for the chat and letting Luke sit in your chair. :whistle

Micky

PostPosted: 21/12/13 08:48 
Going too have another go on Monday thumbsup

PostPosted: 23/12/13 06:31 
micky holtom - owner
Good luck today Tom, dont forget your brolly.

Micky

PostPosted: 26/12/13 15:24 
Back again tomorrow morning for another go.

Getting a bit obsessive this perch fishing lark LOL

PostPosted: 26/12/13 17:28 
That's all good Tom....I wish I could get obsessed with one species or another to kick my lazy arse into gear :lol

Hope you get your whopper soon mate thumbsup

Cheers, Dave.