Barbel Angler

PostPosted: 11/03/17 22:46 
Hi chaps,

I got out with the rods on Thursday, the first time since July I think it was. However, they were not barbel rods, but a couple of light float rods....I was going to wander down to a small two lake fishery which lies about three hundred yards from my front door, in search of roach and perch. I went armed with a pint of white maggots, another of reds, a small tub of lobs and a packet of prawns.

I fed the structure to the left of my chosen swim with chopped lobs and prawns, along with red maggots. The 'roach' line I fed with regular pouches of whites, with the occasional pouch of reds. I alternated prawns and lobs on a number 8 up to the structure, with two whites on an 18 on the 'roach' line.

So, full of hopes of a string of stunning monsters queueing up to get caught, I chomped on the first of my sandwiches. Which, had I relied on my 'perch' line, would have been the only bite I had all day :lol . Fortunately, my 'roach' line came to the rescue, with somewhere between twenty and thirty roach (best about 10 ozs), a dozen perch (best a cracking fish of 1.5 lbs)....and a solitary gudgeon! Now, while it is true to say that apart from the two decent fish, the rest were quite small, it was never the less enormous fun, and a welcome break in my prolonged period of non fishing.

I may just try that again :b

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 12/03/17 18:37 
Well done Dave ,

So few people just go for a days fishing now , they have to be targeting a particular species ,
unlike the 'old days' when you just went for a days fishing and didn't really know what to expect .
I suppose that carp fishing has a lot to answer for in this respect .

Richard

PostPosted: 12/03/17 22:31 
Hi Richard,

You are right about carp fishing having a lot to answer for, that's for sure. However, I don't regret my years spent carping for one moment. I had some magical times, some magical fish and some great friends along the way, and wouldn't have missed any of that for the world. True, I am lumbered with 'bed chair back' for the rest of my life, but the weakness was always there, carping merely elevated it to the 'Oh my gawd' level :lol

I started fishing at roughly 6 years of age, and I am now 72....so 66 years of fishing, and I still enjoy it immensely to this day. I have lost my way a couple of times, but not for long, the madness that is fishing is not something I will ever lose completely. Which is odd really, in my case. Odd, because I am the epitome of the phrase 'pleasure angler'. I am reasonably competent, but that really is as far as it goes. I have neither the drive nor the single minded dedication that is required to be a 'top' angler....I am WAY too lazy for that, and the realisation of that fact allowed me to become happy with my lot.

So, I started as a 'fish for whatever is there' kind of lad, and it seems that now I am in my second childhood, I have reverted to type. I may just pop down to that wee lake again before long, the urge is back you see. I do have to balance that with home life, but I will fit it in.

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 14/03/17 12:58 
Hi men,

Nice tale Dave , with me it's time that dictates what I fish for , with carp most if the time , but really short splash and dash will end up lure fishing for perch , or when it warms up slightly gudgeon on the canal , love it.

Hatter

PostPosted: 14/03/17 14:19 
Ha!.....went back for a second go at the wee lake yesterday, and came back down to reality with a bump. Spent all afternoon for a total of less than a dozen roach, a few minute perch, and ended the day hooking what was obviously a rather large carp. Sadly it had no sense of humour at all, treating my 18 hook and 2lb line with utter disdain after a couple of rod creaking runs. I hope it gets rid of the hook soon. It shouldn't have a problem, as it was barbless.

The most annoying part of it all was that I squandered my best excuse for what turned out to be a rather underwhelming session. I had told the missus that I had better use the leftover maggots from Thursday, before they 'went off' :lol . I shall need to get my thinking cap on to come up with a life or death reason why I need to go again soon :lol :lol

Oh yes...one other annoying thing made itself known yesterday. I totally forgot about the pack of king prawns I had bought for the perch on the Thursday trip, and left the open pack (upside down, as it happens) in my Korum ruckbag. I am hoping the bag will stop smelling like a certain street in Bangkok, given a year or two. If not, I may well end up looking like the pied piper when I wander down to the pond, with all the neighbourhood cats following me. :b

Ya can't win 'em all Hatter :hello

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 14/03/17 18:02 
Hi men,

Prawns :b , nearly as bad as the maggot box upside down thumbsup

Hatter

PostPosted: 11/04/17 18:58 
I have been back to the wee lake detailed in my first post three times now, with mixed results tis true, but lessons learned along the way. My latest trip yesterday saw me catching shed loads of roach with some crackers among them, though nothing bigger than 10/12 ozs or so.

This time I used the 'mag and wag' method well up in the water, perhaps thee feet of line below the float in a swim seven to eight feet deep. Virtually all the weight was at the base of the 2AA Drennan crystal waggler, with just two number eights spread down the line. I fed maggots little and often , until the fish were milling just below the surface, at which point the dust shot didn't settle too often before the 18/20 hook (with a maggot or two as bait) was taken.

Old method, but still great fun when it works. Oddly enough, I still have about half the maggots I bought for this trip left, just sitting in the fridge: somehow it seems to happen every time. I do believe that again, I shall be forced to go back to use them up. Not that I want to go you understand, just that I hate to waste those little darlings. Oh....I may well kill the first person to suggest that I only buy enough maggots for one trip, so don't even think about it :lol :lol :lol

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 19/04/17 19:26 
Well, I did get out on the wee lake again, to 'Use up the maggots I had left' :whistle .

I had shed loads of roach once more, with quite a few that required the landing net, though again, nothing over 12ozs or so. As you would expect, by this time at least half of the maggots were now casters, which would not have been a prob if I had sieved them off regularly and prevented them from developing further. Sadly, I am a lazy git and left them to it, so had a rainbow mix of colours, the majority of which were floaters.

The shame of it was that many of the larger fish came to casters, often the blackish ones that Ivan Marks would have recommended at that! the thing was though, If I tried feeding pouches of mixed maggots and casters out of my tub, there were enough floaters to bring a particularly obnoxious pair of ducks back to the feast every time they heard the thwack of my catapult :mad.

All good fun though, with the minor problems I had being self inflicted as ever. I had now better give it a rest for a week or two, before she who must be obeyed cottons on to my tactics and demands compensation....which invariably ends up with a very sick looking wallet.

Enjoy your fishing lads, see ya later.

Dave.