Barbel Angler

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13»
PostPosted: 11/07/06 13:55 
Global Moderator
Please use this thread to report any birds you see when out fishing. I have a friend Chris Robinson, who is the Berkshire Rep for the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO). He will be most interested in any sightings - especially anything unusual.

Don't give exact locations of any rare nesting birds such as Barn Owls and Spotted Flycatchers. There are still egg collecters about who scan websites such as this for info.

You can always PM me anything you wish to keep confidential.

Thanks

Roy

PostPosted: 13/07/06 07:16 
Global Moderator
River Kennet evening walk 15th May 2006
(Copied from General Discussion)

Rowbarge, Woolhampton - Kennet Dalston Beat Bailey Bridge Canal Brimpton Road Kings Bridge Kennet Warren Beat Elephant Lake Rowneys Lake Rowbarge.

Nothing spectacular Swifts, Swallows and Sand Martins everywhere. No Owls, but two Hobbys sighted on Rowneys towards the finish. 46 different birds seen or heard. Suspected Grasshopper Warbler call, but it must have been a fishing reel. 4 Nightingales singing by the Swing Bridge on the canal as it got dark (heard by another birder)

Birds seen (Total 36)

Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Gadwall, Pochard, Mallard, Tufted Duck,

Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Hobby

Coot, Moorhen, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Redshank, Common Tern,

Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Robin, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Rook, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Magpie, Linnet, Yellowhammer

Birds heard (Total 10)

Cuckoo, Cettis Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Garden Warbler, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Pheasant

Animals

Roe Deer

PostPosted: 13/07/06 20:34 
micky holtom - owner
Hi Roy, have we any plans for another walk in the near future ?Everyone seemed to enjoy the Woolhampton one .

I think somebody suggested the river Loddon next time.

Micky .

PostPosted: 14/07/06 19:27 
driving along the a3 yesterday i am sure i spotted a buzzard saw plenty of kestel cheers john

PostPosted: 16/07/06 15:03 
Near Aldermaston- very distinctive large bird, circling, occasiobnal white flash on the wing..

PostPosted: 20/07/06 14:01 
Global Moderator
Simon

Almost definately a buzzard. There's loads around Berkshire now.

Roy

PostPosted: 23/08/06 09:04 
micky holtom - owner
I recently spent a couple of hours watching a Pereguine Falcon at Symonds Yat.

The R.S.P.B. had two scopes trained on the birds and allowed the public to view them.
I had a pair of binoculars but couldn't spot them.

The Falcon stayed perched on a branch guarding its nest with 3 young from a Buzzard which was in the same area.

This photo compares the sizes of the birds which can be seen from the Roc.

Well worth a visit if you haven't been ,can you spot the river Wye in the background?

Micky .

PostPosted: 25/08/06 17:16 
Whilst walking along Victoria Emabankment Nottingham today about 1.30pm I saw a Little Egret.If I had only seen it in flight I may have missed it as it resembles a Gull in flight but I managed to spot it on the bank.First time I have seen one in the UK but I understand they are becoming common on the south coast ?

PostPosted: 25/08/06 19:19 
Global Moderator
Rutilus, they are indeed becoming more common in the south.

At one time they were restricted to the tidal reaches of the south coast waters, especially the Beaulieu river .
Now they have spread inland and on the middle Test where I live , I see one or two every morning when I take the dog for a walk down the river.

They are a lovely bird to watch as they have the same hunting tactics as their first cousin the Heron.----John.

PostPosted: 29/08/06 19:13 
egret on the trent!!!! 2 b honest its a fairly regular thing only a few miles along the river from the embankment. they live with a colony of herons. buzzards all around me, greenwoodpeckers coming out my socks. gr8 init.

PostPosted: 03/09/06 19:24 
micky holtom - owner
Have you seen these Pelican's ? They live in St James Park 100 yards from Buckingham Palace.

PostPosted: 12/10/06 22:17 
micky holtom - owner
The Red Kite is quite common in Berkshire although the records say that we only have 430 breeding pairs.

red kite.

PostPosted: 25/10/06 15:59 
micky holtom - owner
Where have all the garden birds gone?

Since I put up a new bird station I have only seen a wood pidgeon ,a robin and a Jay in my back garden. (no where near the food I have put out though).

I can't believe ALL the birds are feeding off natural food in the parks etc.

Micky

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:11 
You gotta be patient Micky, it will take em a time to get used to using the feeder.

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:19 
micky holtom - owner
Take a look at the Pelican photo , the B.B.C. Southeast news showed one of the birds eating a live Pidgeon. It looked like it was stuck in its gullet.:b They did say that they normally eat fish.

Hi Steve ,still no birds showing on the feeders but I did have a Jay on the fence giving the nuts a good once over.

Micky .

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:29 
i dont know if its normal for a pelican to eat pigeons, I think given the choice they would prefer fish, wish id seen the article. Have you got any other bird food other than nuts? If not try some mixed wild bird seed, niger seed or sunflower hearts are good for attracting finches. Steve

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:36 
micky holtom - owner
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6083468.stm

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:42 
Thanks for the link Micky, made for an interesting read. Wildlife is truly amazing and full of surprises, goes to show its worth having a camera with you to capture these rare moments. steve

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:49 
micky holtom - owner
Did you click on the close up Steve?

Poor old pidgeon.(20 minutes in his mouth before it ate him)

Micky

PostPosted: 26/10/06 17:55 
i did look at the close up Mick. looks to me as the pigeon is quite cosy. thats one confused Pelican!!. Steve

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13»