Barbel Angler

«1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13»
PostPosted: 27/08/10 13:40 
Been on holiday in camber sands for the last few days enjoying the balmy late summer weather. Thought I'd take the opportunity to pop over to the rspb reserve at dungeness to see if I could get a few firsts.

As I don't drive the family and I went by bus. Unfortunately most of the buses in the area only run once per hour and after missing our connection in Lydd we decided to find a footpath to the reserve. The only one we found went in the wrong direction so we went back to the bus stop to wait for the next one. This still hadn't turned up twenty minutes after it was due so we headed for another footpath I had since found with the aid of my iPhone and the OS website.

Given the recent rain this proved to be simpler than imagined, even with my three kids in tow, including my three year old daughter, not to mention the missus, a rucksack and the pushchair. However about halfway to the boundary we got to the second stream to traverse only to find little of the bridge left. Luckily some of the railings along with the supports were remaining. With a bit of co-operation we managed to get across safely.

Birdwise the rest of the journey was pretty uneventful, although I did see my first ever confirmed
reed buntings in the drainage ditches lining the fields.

Just as we got to the edge of the reserve I spotted my first marsh harrier. It appeared to be a female and was being mobbed by a crow. The particular area we were coming in from seemed to be good for them as we spotted another three. Only the last appeared to be a male. All the others were either female or juv, the wind making it too hard to hold the bins steady to be certain.

On the way in I also saw two black necked grebes along with many more familar species.

Due to the late arrival and the difficulty involved with our return trip we did not stay on the reserve for long. Unfortunately there was no sign of the great White egret, cattle egrets, purple heron and bittern that had been showing regularly but the harriers made the trip worth it.

Cheers
martin

PostPosted: 03/09/10 11:00 
Global Moderator
I was on the Isle of Wight on Sunday for the Paul Weller gig at Carisbrooke.  Decided to make a weekend of it and booked into a splendid B & B in Shanklin old town called The Grange.  While on the island we had a hike on Tennyson Down, between Freshwater and the Needles.  Saw a few wheaters there.  Monday morning we walked to the rock pools and cliffs at the end of Shanklin Beach and had great views of a Peregrine.

Must update my diary.

Roy

PostPosted: 03/09/10 16:24 
Hi Roy

I saw a peregrine in the same spot about three years ago. I also used to stay in The Grange as a kid with my mum and dad.

Realised I forgot to mention that last time out on the dalston I saw a tawny owl at about 10pm. I heard it first as it made the twit call. I was stumped for a second so peered out from under the brolly just in time to see it glide up into the tree above. It moved off shortly afterwards in the direction of another making the same call in the direction of the predator lake car park.

I also heard a rather strange call later during the night. It was a cross between a bark and a croak. It happened about five or six times each time getting nearer from the direction of the warren track. I thought it might be a male muntjak asbit reminded me a bit of a lighter version of a red deer call any ideas?

Martin

PostPosted: 08/10/10 08:40 
micky holtom - owner
The Heron made a visit to my pond this morning Image

( 1st time for months)  He disappeared when I got the camcorder out.

Micky

PostPosted: 09/11/10 00:10 
ImageShot through the closed kitchen window, 40 or so at one time

PostPosted: 12/11/10 20:03 
Hi Fred...........nice picture, attracting birds into the garden is great enough but the real spectacle comes when they bathe, the trouble with shooting through glass is sadly it makes the image slightly flat and washed out looking, but help is at hand with 1 single adjustment. using your fav photo package, boost the contrast to bring back the image to how you saw it.........regards steve

Last edited by whistler on 12/11/10 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/11/10 20:31 
Thanks for that Steve ,I thought Igoing to have a window cleaning job lined up!!Image

PostPosted: 12/11/10 21:31 
well you can forget the windows now Fred and spend more time fishing!!!!

i have no commercial link to this software at all, but for all you anglers who like to take the odd photo, and maybe have no interest in adjusting your pictures, but would like to improve them ..........why not have a look at this free download.................... http://www.photo-freeware.net/photoperfect-express.php     its a cracking piece of software that fixes images with 1 click and is ideal for those with no manipulation knowledge/interest.

i must stress i have no links to this company, but its just a good bit of kit..............................steve

PostPosted: 16/11/10 11:44 
micky holtom - owner
Thanks for the link Steve.

Swan lake at Twyford yesterday.

Micky

PostPosted: 21/11/10 12:32 
nice pics mick......love the colours in the trees............steve

PostPosted: 22/11/10 13:27 
Global Moderator

There's some comments about Waxwings in Bird Photos.

Try the Berkshire Birds website.  There were 16 reported in Bracknell yesterday (and Saturday).
Sunday 21th November sightings

Roy

PostPosted: 23/11/10 15:13 
had 3 in the garden today, may have been some more close by as the flocks are usually larger than this. 1 ventured onto the feeder frame but didnt eat.Image
heres a photo from my archive.

PostPosted: 12/12/10 19:14 
micky holtom - owner
Great photo Steve, did you get any wildlife snow pictures?

Micky

PostPosted: 14/12/10 20:29 
no i didnt get out with the camera micky, but were due more snow, so maybe soon..........if i get a decent pic, i will post for sure.

until then, in true blue peter style..........heres one i did earlier.......okay a year or two back...................Image

PostPosted: 20/12/10 14:40 
some bird photos taken in the garden today................with some snow for micky

PostPosted: 20/12/10 16:24 
micky holtom - owner
As usual Steve great photos mate.

Micky

PostPosted: 20/12/10 20:28 
cheers Micky.....

Merry Christmas to all here and good luck with the angling in 2011.

PostPosted: 23/12/10 18:48 
Not much to report from the garden this winter. The finches have been conspicuous by their absence this winter but did see one goldfinch earlier this week. Also had a willow tit on the fat block last weekend which is a first for the garden. Had a few days off the week before so went to the London wetlands centre on the thurs. All of the ice meant that waders were few and far between but did see a couple of snipe. However I did get a great view of two bitterns with my new bins, which was a first for me. That weekend I went out to Barton court on the kennet from my parent's in Basingstoke. Saw a few red kites although many were further off than my last trip there. On the Sunday morning got my first really good view of a male brambling which was in my folks back garden with the green, gold and chaffinches. Merry xmas all

PostPosted: 07/01/11 15:53 
I had a quick walk around Fishers Green today and saw a Bittern, my first since November !!!

Bob

PostPosted: 28/01/11 09:00 
Been out fishing this week and seen loads of Birds

Monday--Amwell Bird Reserve ( right next to the Lea Navigation )
Raven
Smew
Pintail
Lapwings
Herons
Kingfisher
2 Bitterns
2 Buzzards
Sparrow Hawk
Loads of other stuff

Thursday-- Abbey Cross pit in Nazing
6 pairs of Goosanders