Barbel Angler

«1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13»
PostPosted: 04/02/11 10:18 
A Black Swan flew over Wyboston yesterday ?

Bob

PostPosted: 04/04/11 09:21 
Global Moderator
Went for a meal yesterday lunchtime at The Ferry on Cookham Bridge.  Went for a walk along the Thames afterwards and saw the first hirundines of the year - 4 Sand Martins.

Roy

PostPosted: 20/05/11 06:21 
Went for a walk in Sydenham woods last week. Nothing out of the ordinary to report for most of the walk but about halfway round I was lucky enough to spot a pair of treecreepers entering a crack in an old tree stump. While they were away I crept into a better spot to view their comings and goings to their nest site. I stayed for quite a while to watch their comings and goings and at one point was rewarded by a chiffchaff coming down to feed in branches barely a foot from where I was stood. List for the day Blue tit Great tit Long tailed tit Blackbird Robin Song thrush Crow Wood pigeon Ring necked parakeet Treecreeper Nuthatch Chiffchaff Chaffinch Wren Goldcrest

PostPosted: 21/05/11 18:49 
Did a walk along all of the Wasing kennet stretches today. Saw and heard lots of birdlife during my journey starting with a red kite from the train at Theale. The highlights though were my first ever view of a nightingale. I've heard them before but never seen one. Today I had amazing views of two different birds, one on the start of the wooded section of the woolhampton beat and the other on the north bank of the Warren. In fact I heard loads today. I did cheat slightly though. Using ispiny bird guide's bird song feature on my iPhone I managed to draw birds I'd heard out of cover.

My second highlight was my first good views of a hobby. I saw two from the river on the dalston beat and then three over the syndicate lake on the north side of the Warren.

My full walk list is as follows:
Grey heron
Cormorant
Magpie
Jay
Carrion crow
Jackdaw
Blackbird
Song thrush
Nightingale
Blue tit
Great tit
Long tailed tit
Pheasant
Mallard
Coot
Great crested grebe
Mute swan
Greylag goose
Canada goose
Red kite
Hobby
Wren
Robin
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting
Chiffchaff
Reed warbler
Blackcap
Cuckoo (h)
Woodpigeon
Tree deeper
Nuthatch
Great spotted woodpecker
Green woodpecker

Last edited by Martin Stevens on 22/05/11 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28/08/11 10:33 
Got back yesterday from a week's family holiday in Shanklin. It was a good week for birds with great views of peregrines from the beach as well as other species while walking on the downs. Other highlights included great views of buzzards and kestrels, numerous spotted flycatchers and wood warblers, but most of all three firsts. Wheatear, Redstart and Pied Flycatcher. All female or juveniles, would have liked the males but not to be just yet.

PostPosted: 20/10/11 19:00 
Two more firsts for me last Friday at the London Wetland Centre. Rock Pipit and Stonechat.

Got my first really good views of a firecrest in Sydenham woods earlier that week. Also seen four Sparrowhawk in seven days. One at the wetland centre being mobbed by jays, one in Hayes being mobbed by crows while at my son's football match, one being mobbed by a crow and a magpie over the Old Kent Road and one today in tadley. Anyone guess what I've been up to while I've been out of work?!

Last edited by Martin Stevens on 20/10/11 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24/10/11 05:27 
I was standing at the Conservatory door looking out on my Garden Yesterday and a Sparrow Hawk smashed into a Wood Pidgeon  on the Lawn ?

I thought there were less birds than usual in the Garden and not taking full advantage of the Fat Balls hanging from the Tree ?

Bob

PostPosted: 31/10/11 17:02 
Our fat balls are not being eaten as fast as we are used too, we have a sparrowhawk, but I think the birds still have plenty of natural food available.

PostPosted: 09/12/11 09:53 
micky holtom - owner

Micky

PostPosted: 18/12/11 21:13 
I had a Greater Spotted Woodpecker on the Fat Balls, whilst we sat and had our dinner today and they are no more than a couple of yds from the window ?

Amazing.

Must be the cold weather .

Bob

PostPosted: 29/02/12 22:53 
There were a couple of Buzzards circling high in the air today over Epping Forest.

I was watching from them from the back garden, when the Police Helicopter took off and the helicopter moved out of the way of them !!

Bob

PostPosted: 07/03/12 11:31 
Been a while since I last went, but I have been visiting Belair Park in Dulwich in an attempt to see the resident Little Owls. Luckily I gained some insider knowledge and now know of their daytime roost. I had never seen one before but have now seen them on two separate occasions. The last visit I took two of the kids and we got great views.

PostPosted: 18/03/12 16:39 
Had a Blackcap singing in my garden this morning, what a fantastic sound. So underestimated i think.

I seem to have a resident pair now, i have seen them through the last few winters. :)

PostPosted: 18/03/12 20:16 
I had a red kite fly over the top of the house this afernoon.

PostPosted: 25/03/12 20:31 
Hi men ,

Buzzards and Kites over the cottage being worried by the crows etc , funny to see them running !.

Got 2 pairs of blackcaps in the back garden , quiet fiesty , plenty of seeing off going on at the mo .

Hatter

PostPosted: 26/03/12 00:39 
We are seeing many more birds in our tiny back garden now that we have got into it and bought the proper feeders. Mind you, we need to slow WAY down on the spending....lashed out a total of about £250 in two hits....can't keep that up :rolleyes Really enjoying trying to identify the various birds with the books we have bought, some of the previous guesses we had made turning out to be quite wrong!

Most days we see large numbers of great tits, a few blue tits and cole tits, and the occasional flock of manic long tailed tits. We see black caps and robins regularly, with big fat waddling wood pigeons and little dunnocks clearing up the dropped seed on the ground. Blackbirds pop in now and then, as does the odd chaffinch, green finch, wren, magpie, jackdaw....and the highlight of the wife's day recently was a greater spotted woodpecker hanging on the peanut feeder for a while.

I THINK I have seen a nuthatch, and there have been numerous other birds that were either too quick and/or unusual to put a name to (for now anyway). Grey herons fly overhead quite often, and red kites every day, often paired birds. If I had a bigger garden I might try feeding the kites, just to watch them sweeping down and snatching your offering up :) We travel around on local busses quite a lot, using our free passes, and inbetween Chesham and High Wycombe there are obviously folk doing this....regularly seeing seven or eight huge kites circling low over the same two garden can't be pure coincedence :lol

Looking forward to identifying more birds as my recognition skills improve....providing of course my eye sight doesn't fail at a similar rate : Should be interesting watching the changes in the regular visitors as the seasons come and go....really enjoying this new hobby!

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 26/03/12 08:31 
Hi men,

I know where you mean with the kites Dave , I hear some of the locals in the area are moaning they can be a pest around the bins !, mad eh ?, fantastic site .

We went to the red kite feeding station up in the hills of Wales , great day out . The bloke feeding them said they are quick to switch onto finding food , and are quiet happy to feed with people about , you could get them down even in a small area mate .

My blue tit camera box has had lots of visitors , with a couple starting to make a nest , but the last week have stopped . I will put it in a diff position today as we have had this happen before . I can really recommend these boxes , sound , night vision , colour , and it connects to you big tv , well worth the money . Watching the eggs hatch up to fledging is great , then you simply move the camera to a feeding box and get real close up of all the birds .

Hatter

PostPosted: 30/03/12 21:46 
Here is one for the collective.........................

Driving to work this morning i saw a smallish (Kestrel sized) bird of prey swooping over a ploughed field. It appeared to be black all over with white undersides of the wings.

It was definitely a bird of prey.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 02/04/12 20:04 
Tom Herbert wrote:
Here is one for the collective.........................

Driving to work this morning i saw a smallish (Kestrel sized) bird of prey swooping over a ploughed field. It appeared to be black all over with white undersides of the wings.

It was definitely a bird of prey.

Any ideas?

Could be an early Hobby Tom. They're about the same size as a kestrel. Don't think any of the UK raptors are truly black on their uppers, more dark grey or slate. White streaked underneath. If you have gravel pits nearby I'd say almost definitely a Hobby. They feed a lot on dragonflies. The gravel pits on the Wasing estate near Woolhampton are well known for them.

PostPosted: 28/04/12 12:29 
micky holtom - owner
I see the red kites are in trouble again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-17866195

Micky