Barbel Angler

«1, 2, 3»
PostPosted: 23/04/07 13:59 
paul whiteing - admin
I re-sited one on my nest boxes and .....................

bugger all

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 23/04/07 14:07 
micky holtom - owner
Same as me then Paul :(

Micky

PostPosted: 30/04/07 11:52 
Global Moderator
Occasional visits to the nest box by the blue tits over the weekend I hope theyre sitting on eggs.

Roy

PostPosted: 02/05/07 07:27 
micky holtom - owner
Two blue tits were showing an interest in the nest box yesterday,fingers crossed.

Micky

PostPosted: 02/05/07 16:21 

Mine is being blanked,cant understand why. Maybe there's something in there putting them off?

PostPosted: 09/05/07 07:04 
Hi Chaps

A quick update on my nestboxes. Nothing has nested in my wren box this year, although I have spotted them in the garden. I will have to move this box as work to my neigbours house has caused this area to become much more open.

The bigger box that I put in the garden last year was checked out regularly by blue tits but they never nested. Blackbirds began building a nest in some ivy near the house. After being scared off for about a week by a cat getting on to the trellis next to the nest they returned to carry on building, howvever for some reason they did eventually abandon the nest for good.

Finally house sparrows have continued to ignore my sparrow terrace box, although it would appear that at least one extended family live nearby as they keep clearing me out of meal worms in about 10 seconds flat. One family that did find a use for the box however are some blue tits. The chicks can be heard everytime the adults visit the nest. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to see the fledgelings in the garden in the near future.

Cheers
Mullet

PostPosted: 12/05/07 16:46 
micky holtom - owner
I put a new nest box in my back garden hoping for for robins to nest and I have just noticed in the front garden robins have nested in the righthand of these two "palm "type trees.Image

I am so pleased.:D The parents keep returning with grubs etc in their beaks and I can hear noises coming from the nest.

Micky

PostPosted: 18/05/07 07:26 
Global Moderator
Went out to the garden this morning to check out the nest box. One of the blue tits arrived with a great big green caterpiller in it's beak. When it entered the nest box I heard the chicks calling.

Haven't seen the two robins together. I expect the female's siiting on eggs.

Roy

PostPosted: 19/05/07 21:09 
Global Moderator
Non-stop action in the nest box today. Both parents working really hard getting food to the chicks, who are now very vocal.

Methinks they will fly the nest very soon.

Roy

PostPosted: 20/05/07 15:54 
Global Moderator
Sunday's update. The baby blue tits are really noisy today and one of them has taken to looking out of the hole so it can be first in line for food.

After several attempts I managed to get this photo of one of the parents about to feed the demanding chick a little green caterpillar

Roy

edited to re-instate photo (which for some reason disappeared)

Last edited by Anonymous on 17/05/10 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22/05/07 22:51 
Global Moderator
The nest box has now been vacated. It's all so very quiet and I expect the parents are having a bit of a rest, although I understand they do feed the fledglings for a while after their big leap into the world.

It's been a real pleasure watching the comings and goings of these lovely little birds. I wonder how many caterpillers they managed to find? Anyway I got a few photos and I'll try and post some here over the next couple of days.

Roy

PostPosted: 23/05/07 07:47 
Roy did they vacate the nest box on monday? as the blue tits left the nest box by our backdoor on monday. There were also a lot of Magpies around that day.

Pete

PostPosted: 26/05/07 07:07 
Global Moderator
Pete - The last time I saw and heard the birds was Sunday. When I came home from work on Monday it was all very quiet. Same thing happened to one of the people I work with - It was on Tuesday that their blue tits left the nest box.

And here's another one....We had blue tits nesting in a liitle hole in the outside of our building at work and on Tuesday morning one of the chicks appeared in the warehouse, absolutely helpless. Terry and Al put it in a box and fed it a little worm, which it ate ...... and then fell asleep! When it woke up, they took the box and placed in under a bush close to where the nest was. Within half and hour the parents started feeding it and it hopped off into the bushes. For the next hour the parents continuously fed it as it moved through the undergrowth.

What amazing creatures these lovely little birds are.

Roy

PostPosted: 27/05/07 11:17 
Hi Roy, good result with the blue tit in the factory.

Over the last few years the blue tits have left our nest box on the May bank holiday monday. this year they were a week early. I wondered if the last few years had been a coincidence or if anyone else noticed a trend with garden nest boxes.
We saw the last two young come out this year and watched them for half an hour, then we had to go out. when we came back there was no sign of them, but the parents kept coming back to the box and spent a lot of time in the garden, we had several magpies around the houses that kept coming into the garden - I think they may have had the young birds. Hope I'm wrong.

By the way, the site has some great pictures in the wildlife and fishing areas

Pete

PostPosted: 13/02/08 12:35 
micky holtom - owner
Since I had no inhabitants in my blue tit nest box I have repositioned it .

If I remember rightly the access hole should face North.

Can anyone confirm this please ?

Micky

PostPosted: 13/02/08 21:17 
Not sure about the exact direction a nestbox should face Micky.

I moved one of my nestboxes recently. Thought it was probably a bit too low for the tits so I converted it to open fronted and tucked it further back under the clematis and climbing hydrangea.

I also cleaned out my sparrow terrace a few weeks back after Blue tits used one of the compartments last summer. Sadly the nest contained 6 dead chicks and an egg. Not sure what caused them to die but the wet weather did coincide with the parents visiting the nest less often. I did wonder at the time if one of the parents had died.

Mullet

PostPosted: 15/02/08 10:56 
I have a nest box just by my back door which faces North. Have had tits every year since putting it up (fingers crossed for this year), in the box that is.:D

Pete W

PostPosted: 11/05/08 08:15 
paul whiteing - admin
At last, after 20 years of watching them looking at our bird boxes but not liking ................... we have residents, and they are coal tits.

I have changed nothing, we still have lots of bird feeders, a bird table, and ground feeding trays - so a very busy garden.

Fickle birds but am happy.

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 11/05/08 10:02 
micky holtom - owner
Congratulations Paul, it must seem like being grandparents.Image

Here is a link to a coal tit. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/coaltit/index.asp

Micky

PostPosted: 13/05/08 18:36 
Nice one Paul!

The two boxes that I have sited in my garden are still empty. The sparrow terrace on the side on my house does though have a family of blue tits! The parents have been very busy. Hopefully tomorrow my delivery of mealworms will come to help them out.

The ivy that blackbirds attempted to nest in last year now contains the nest of a dunnock. Not sure if it is still in use as I haven't seen the dunnocks in the garden as much recently but occasionally hear rustling from the area of the nest. No chick noises though. Are dunnocks one of these species which the male makes several nests and the female chooses it's favourite?

We have had a family of fledgeling robins in the garden a lot over the last week or so. Think they nested in next door's ivy.

Cheers
M