Barbel Angler

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6»
PostPosted: 02/01/07 13:26 

Hi All
Love looking at garden fish pond,here is a photo of my fish pond.

Hope to see some of your pond photo on this topic too.
Nigel

Last edited by manu31999 on 09/01/10 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/01/07 17:11 
micky holtom - owner
Great photo Nigel, what a good looking pond.I don't notice any netting to prevent a visit from a real Heron.Or do you cover the pond at night?

Micky

PostPosted: 09/01/07 09:38 
paul whiteing - admin
Hi Nigel

My old pond/rockery was in the natural look

This new one I decided on a man-made look for a change.

paul4

ps. You can see that a camera and me are not the best of friends :)
paul4

PostPosted: 09/01/07 19:13 
Hi paul
That is a great before and after shot and a great looking pond:eek
Tight lines and Happy Barbel Fishing Nigel

PostPosted: 10/01/07 10:53 
micky holtom - owner
Good photo's Paul, I can't see the pipe and slippers under the garden bench though.:b

Micky .

PostPosted: 10/01/07 12:33 
paul whiteing - admin
For you Mickey, a piccy of a contented retired man you want then, just as a model for you hopefully soon ;)

Slippers, and a glass of John Smiths - will get 'er indoors to point the camera when the weather improves :)

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 10/01/07 14:11 
micky holtom - owner
:rollin :rollin

Enjoy your retirement Paul.

Micky .

PostPosted: 10/01/07 18:51 
paul whiteing - admin
I do Micky - you should try it.

Although I just quoted for decorating a whole flat, and three rooms plus hall/stairs/landing of a house too. Looks like my slippers and my fishing rod may be gathering dust for a while.

But I love it - better than "proper" work :)

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 12/01/07 14:22 
Global Moderator
All this talk and postings about garden ponds is really making me think about building one myself.

Roy

PostPosted: 20/03/07 10:45 
micky holtom - owner
I have finally decided to make a new pond.
A friend of my youngest son is a good bricklayer and he has promised to come over early April and give me a quote .

I have altered my rose arch and cleared the area ready for him but still not sure what shape pond I will choose.

Any ideas lads?

I need a raised pond to ensure easy access/maintenance in later life.

Micky

PostPosted: 20/03/07 15:27 
Micky

Quote:
Quote:
Any ideas lads?

Take a look at Nigel's excellent pond at the top of this page it may give you a few ideas. :D

Pete

PostPosted: 20/03/07 16:12 
micky holtom - owner
This was my old pond taken last summer. Image

The decking has been removed ,the rose arch repositioned and the new raised pond should just about fit behind the original.
My plan is to keep the original pond in place til the new pond is made and then swop the fish over.

I'm thinking of terracota coloured bricks with costwold chippings for a path.

What problems did you lads encounter whilst making your ponds?.

I'm not sure whether to have a preformed rigid pond or a liner yet?

Micky .

PostPosted: 20/03/07 23:13 
Can't see any Tench bubbles in there Micky!
I like the liner myself, you can get all the ledges how you want them. I find the moulded pool ledges to uniform and unnatural.
Good idea using the Cotswold Buff chippings, I've got that in my garden and they change colour with the weather.They look lovely after a shower.The only problem is the foxes, they tend to leave presents on them>:

PostPosted: 21/03/07 09:38 

will have to send a picture of mine to this site. My problem is that the water is like pea soup. i feel i've got the right balance of plants etc but it just wont clear.Anyway,my other 'arf surprised me by getting a pond filter against my wishes as i like to keep the pond s natural as possible.A monstrosity the size of a toilet cistern that you normally only see on those giant Koi ponds. No doubt i might just be able to hide somewhere from view if i can find something large enough...like a garage ! Still,if it does the job then so be it.

PostPosted: 27/03/07 08:12 
paul whiteing - admin
Kevin

Water like pea soup can be a problem where, irrespective of balance of plants etc, there is too much sunlight. I have had ponds for 40 years and found that filtering alone would not cure the problem.

There are two types of filtering, one is simply to pump water through a sponge mesh to strain out the particles and the other is similar but also bacterialogical (sp?). My view is that the latter is over-rated and with the added disadvantage in that (it says) you have to keep it running all of the time.

I have a two way switch which during the day when I'm there the pump is on, and at night or when I'm out the pump is off but the catwatch (yes, I hate cats) comes on.

My latest pond has an external filter of the sponge type (about the size of a small bucket), and a small sponge on the pump's inlet - this one helps stop debris entering the pump and clogging it, I didn't fit it at first (just left the perforated 'cage' empty, but have decided it is best now. I also have a separate UV 'device' which I feel is the better solution for blanket weed and suspended algae.

The sponges collects waste and debris, the UV device acts on the algae. I feel this combination is the best solution overall.

I do have to clean the sponges every so often, more often than I'd like but necessary, else the flow rate gradually reduces until just a dribble from the waterfall, although ok from the mushroom fountain.

My dad fitted one of those cisterns, now it has plants in it.

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 28/03/07 17:14 

Thanks Paul,i have now found a spot where i can hide it under a conifer and just need a new pipe for it and give it a try.It has the UV light device in it also you described so will be interesting to see the results

PostPosted: 02/04/07 19:57 
micky holtom - owner
Iv'e finally started digging the earth out for my new pond.
What a back breaking job,and where do you put all the unwanted clay.Good job I have to backfill my old pond.

I'm still not sure of the best size for a raised pond but hope to have one of about 1,000 gallons.

I managed to add a triple external watertight plug with an r.c.d. and 10 metres of cable under my lawn today ,a bargain at only 17 from Whickes.

Still got til June 15th to finish it.;)

Micky .

PostPosted: 03/04/07 14:05 
Not sure if this is any good but thought you might like to have a browse www.aquaplancton.com here

PostPosted: 03/04/07 17:12 
paul whiteing - admin
Looks interesting, thanks Denis

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 06/04/07 15:03 

filter system in place and working so will be interesting to see how it performs. Will send in photos shortly