Barbel Angler

«1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6»
PostPosted: 11/01/10 15:46 
Thought you guys with ponds may be interested in this

http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/aboutus/News/latestnews/PressRelease9Jan201.htm

PostPosted: 13/01/10 16:41 
paul whiteing - admin
I don't use my pump in the winter. I have a double-diaphragm air pump blowing through a bubble-stone on a timer, 3 times a day for an hour each time. It keeps the pond fairly ice-free in a small area.

Good article Fred, thanks Image

paul4
paul4

Last edited by paul4barbus on 13/01/10 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15/01/10 16:52 

Bloody Cold Weather.
It's the fist time i have ever lost a fish in my garden pond to the cold weather.
But after the big melt for a few day's here i was gutted to see this lovely Ghost Carp dead on the bottom Image
Was a stunning fish of just over 6lb and took me a fair few year to get to this size too.

Nigel (manu31999)

PostPosted: 16/01/10 11:14 
sorry to see that nigel-thats a shame.

PostPosted: 22/03/10 11:07 
micky holtom - owner
My fish have at last come off the bottom and I have given them their first food of the year.

I must say they look in fantastic condition considering the cold weather we have had this winter.

Micky

PostPosted: 01/05/10 06:35 
micky holtom - owner
One of my Koi carp keeps jumping out of the water ,does anyone know why they do this?

Plenty of frogspawn this year.

Micky

PostPosted: 01/05/10 08:24 
paul whiteing - admin
It could be just the time of the year, getting frisky perhaps?

But it could be an indication that it's got a parasite. I'd treat the pond to some "Eradick" or whatever is the available "cure all" at your local supplier.

paul4
paul4

PostPosted: 01/05/10 09:03 
micky holtom - owner
Cheers Paul, I will buy some next week when my local Maidenhead Aquatics have a new supply of floating plants.

Micky

PostPosted: 01/05/10 10:18 
My Pond is more of a sitting area, but I have added a few fish that are thriving ?

BobImage

PostPosted: 01/05/10 12:26 
paul whiteing - admin
Can't see the barbel Bob? Image
paul4

PostPosted: 02/05/10 03:35 
Image Paul

You will have to look under the lillies, the pond has a good waterfall,  lots of Oxygen and plenty of gravel !!

Bob

PostPosted: 02/05/10 07:30 
Looks like a big keepnet to me BobImage

PostPosted: 02/05/10 10:05 
ImageThat the trouble in living in the Wilds of London, lots of Foxes, Heron  and even the Squirrles seem to like my Goldfish !!

Bob

Last edited by Anonymous on 03/05/10 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21/07/11 21:02 
micky holtom - owner

Copy cat.

Micky

PostPosted: 12/02/12 20:11 
paul whiteing - admin
The outlet on my UV unit broke due to the ice again, happened last year too. It is a very poor design and when broken shows how thin the material is. Spares available but not sure I want to bother again.

Anyway, went down the garden at lunchtime and heard unusual water noises, only to find my pond empty all but 3", and my largest fish was half out of the water. I lifted her out and she gulped, and I swear she smiled, but seems ok.

:swim

Went to use the hose but it was frozen solid, luckily I have a second hose in the garage and filled the pond quickly. Hope all is ok but won't know until later.

PostPosted: 18/04/12 14:10 
micky holtom - owner
I had a visit from an old friend today. :whistle

Micky

PostPosted: 19/04/12 22:36 
paul4barbus wrote:
Looks interesting, thanks Denis

paul4

Take care with this stuff Paul. I have not come across this particular branded product before, but if you read their (non)technical description of this product, it quickly becomes obvious what it actually is, and that all is not what it seems. There is a lot of marketing jargon which is very misleading. For instance, it is NOT actual 'plankton' at all, as it's name implies, it is merely a calcium product which will, by it's alkaline nature, adjust the Ph of over acidic water upwards....which can be advantageous if done carefully....and SLOWLY!

The 'plankton' bit merely refers to the fact this is a calciferous mineral, which was laid down millions of years ago when the area from which it is found was covered by an ocean. It is in fact the remains of tiny sea creatures, whose shells were basically calcite....and could loosely be described as plankton. In effect, it is virtually a form of chalk!

The reason I say take care is that any rapid adjustments in Ph levels will almost certainly kill your fish. I dare say if you follow their instructions to the letter, it will be safe....ish :whistle
I would think that the fact they are making a great thing about telling you that the welfare of your fish is YOUR responsibility tells you all you need to know about how careful you need to be here.

There are a number of products of this nature on the market, some of which have been around for a long time....it is nothing new. They all work by adjusting the Ph level of a water which has become too acidic due to acid rain etc., etc., thereby making your pond more environmentally friendly to it's natural inmates, allowing the bacterial breakdown of silt etc. to take place far more rapidly (amongst other benefits).

The 'pea green water' referred to is actually phytoplankton, which occurs when nutrients in the water build up due to eutrophication, and where sufficient levels of sunlight are available. Lowering the levels of available nutrients in the water, by minimal feeding, low stock levels and effective filtration, combined with shading (at least when the sun is high) is the way to go. Increasing oxygen levels by installing a fountain also helps.

Sorry to ramble on so much Paul, but it worries me to death when I see blatant marketing nonsense and hype designed to mystify and sell a product which is actually a very basic, cheap (or should be) item....but one which potentially can be fatal to your much loved, not to mention 'orribly expensive Koi, if not used with a great deal of care and caution.

Cheers, Dave.

PS

This post was actually in response to a post on page one :lol Just shows how daft things can get if you unthinkingly poke yer nose in where it aint wanted :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: 20/04/12 14:21 
paul whiteing - admin
Thanks for the info Dave. My pond is still rather green at the moment, but new filters and a new UV lamp hopefully will sort it.

:swim look happy enough

paul4

PostPosted: 21/04/12 18:20 
paul4barbus wrote:
Thanks for the info Dave. My pond is still rather green at the moment, but new filters and a new UV lamp hopefully will sort it.

:swim look happy enough

paul4

Hi Paul,

Green water doesn't bother fish too much, providing it isn't long term. I took the liberty of adding a couple of links below, which I think are pretty useful. Chances are you have read them (or something very similar :lol ) more than once, but I do think they make very valid points, and simple answers as well. I particularly like the plant filter, if you would rather not have too many plants in the actual pond.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafi ... spx?id=258

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/ga ... nswer.html

Cheers, Dave.

PostPosted: 22/04/12 21:29 
Kingfisher II wrote:
I had a visit from an old friend today. :whistle

Micky

Great picture Micky, is that lovely pink tree in the picture a Cherry tree that flowers 1week a year ?

Regards Ray