Barbel Angler

PostPosted: 27/10/06 13:04 
Global Moderator
Outside our office entrance we have a smoking shelter looks a bit like a bus stop.

Anyway, I was out there this morning with one of my colleagues Zoe, when she began to flap as a wasp started buzzing around her head. As she moved away, the wasp became entangled in a spiders web. Immediately from her lair came the spider and quickly set about the unfortunate victim.

A quick bite from the spider released the deadly venom and the wasp stopped struggling. Then she cocooned it - skilfully turning it round and round until it was wrapped up - ready to be consumed later.

It was an amazing site.

Roy

PostPosted: 31/10/06 20:51 
micky holtom - owner
Iv'e never seen so many large spiders as I have in the last four weeks.It must be because of the hot summer.

One MONSTER spider even scared me.:eek

Micky

PostPosted: 12/10/11 10:35 
Global Moderator
Been playing with my digital SLR recently trying to get some decent close up shots.  Late on Monday evening, as I let the cat in, the sensor activated turning on the outside light. Outside the front door by the light itself, was great big web with a large Garden Spider sitting in the middle of it. 

Took loads of photos using different settings.  This is the best one.

Roy

PostPosted: 12/10/11 13:10 
micky holtom - owner
Great photo Roy.

Last month on holiday in Antigua I saw a Tarantula at night against a brick wall , I still cant
believe I walked past it. My only regret is that I didnt take a photo even though I was carrying my camera.

Micky   

PostPosted: 31/01/12 23:48 
A good few years back I had the opportunity to hold the biggest, friendliest Mexican red knee tarantula I have ever seen. She sat calm and unmoving on my open hand, which I held flat, palm up, to accommodate her. She was so big she virtually covered my hand, her back legs touching the base of my palm, and the ends of her front legs reaching almost to my finger tips. A great experience, if you are into that sort of thing Image

Cheers, Dave.